The adult teeth often become darker due to changes in the mineral structure of the teeth, as the enamel becomes less porous. Teeth can also become stained by bacterial pigments, foodstuffs and tobacco. Teeth whitening is the process of removing stains and discoloration from teeth through a bleaching process to make them look ‘whiter’. You can expect the noticeable difference within few days after simple teeth whitening procedure done. Teeth whitening procedure only apply on the surface of your teeth which makes it safe and simple.
Who are the ideal candidates for teeth whitening?
- People that were born with yellow teeth
- Who have stained teeth from coffee or nicotine
- Those who have a wedding or job interview planned
- People who always wish to have white teeth
- Anyone that wants confidence with their smile
Types of Dental Whitening:
- 1. In-Office Laser Whitening: One-day Whitening, Intensive Whitening
- 2. At-Home Teeth Whitening: You can perform teeth whitening by yourself with custom-fit trays
- 3. Gum Bleaching: The best way to have pinky, healthy gums to perfect your smile
In-Office Laser Teeth Whitening
In-office teeth whitening methods are performed with bleaching gel and laser light. This is a good method of teeth whitening for sensitive teeth, as the process could be closely monitored by the cosmetic dentist. The teeth are carefully isolated from the lips and gums, and then a bleaching gel is applied to them. A laser is used in conjunction with the gel to accelerate and amplify the teeth whitening process.
Zoom2 Tooth Whitening
Zoom 2 is the #1 teeth whitening product in the world. More than 150 million people have chosen Zoom2 all around the world for whiter teeth.
- 3 sessions of Zoom2 Teeth Whitening
(In most of dental clinics, Teeth Whitening Re-touch Procedure would be included)
- 15 minutes per session for the total of 45 minutes
- Starting at KRW 700,000 ~
- 1. The product to protect your lips is placed.
- 2. The retractors are placed to gently pull the lips and cheeks away.
- 3. Before beginning, your dentist measures the exact color of your teeth.
- 4. A napkin is placed over the lips and cheeks to shield them from the whitening gel.
- 5. Your face including eyes will be covered with a napkin to be protected.
- 6. Then a coating is placed over the gums.
The bleaching gel irritates soft tissues, and so it must be kept confined to the teeth with these techniques.
- 7. Whitening Gel is placed over the teeth with 1~2 mm thick.
- 8. Then the Zoom light is focused on the teeth. The gel penetrates into the teeth, and activated by the light.
The gel releases oxygen inside the teeth, and the oxygen provides the bleaching action.
- 9. The gel is removed and the color of the teeth is measured.
There are several choices for those who are interested in at-home teeth whitening methods. Your dentist can take imprints of your teeth and then make custom-fitted trays for you to take home to complete the teeth whitening process. You will get better result when combing with In-Office Teeth Whitening
- Treatment Period : approximately 2-4 weeks (4-5 hours a day)
- Cost : Starting at KRW 200,000 ~
Melanin, a brown pigment, is the most common cause of endogenous pigmentation of gums and is the most predominant pigmentation of mucosa. This problem is aggravated in patients with a ‘gummy smile’ or excessive gum display while smiling. Gum Bleaching procedure is to take away these problems and make your gums healthy.
- Treatment Period : 30-40 minutes (at times, it would take more than 1 session to be completed)
- Cost : Starting at KRW 150,000 ~
Who are the ideal candidates for Gum Bleaching Procedure?
It is for those of who have discoloration on the gum due to Melanin, a brown pigment, Smoking, Dental Braces, Excessive sunlight exposure and people have darker than others for genetic reasons.
Post Management of Teeth Whitening
- How long you can maintain your whitened teeth will depend on several unique and individual factors. However most people find that after successful whitening, it lasts 3-5 years. Also, having whitening treatment done once a year and using whitening product such as tooth paste or gums would you help to have bright teeth.
- It is strongly recommended for you to refrain from smoking and the foods that can easily stain such as coffee, black tea, coke or curry at least for a week right after treatment.
- To keep the successful result, it is always the best to keep your teeth clean at all time.
- After a dental whitening procedure at the dentist office, teeth sometimes have sensitivity to hot and cold food. This is true even if you've never had tooth sensitivity before. However, theses symptoms will go away in 1-2 days.
KMH Recommended Tips
Tooth whitening Tips
- Using colored mouth wash could speed up getting stained teeth.
- It is recommended for you to use tooth paste and tooth brush that are not easily worn off.
- Having enough milk, egg, apple, carrot, various vegetables and water is recommended for oral health.
- The result of teeth whitening would slowly fade away over 6 years, however, after 2 years of your whitening treatment, it is recommended for you to have a light re-touch teeth whitening done.
Does over the counter tooth whitening product work?
Over-the-counter teeth whitening gels and solutions contain a low percentage of hydrogen peroxide, that may not effectively whiten the teeth if you have badly stained teeth. Tooth sensitivity is a common side effect from any teeth whitening options. Always seek the advice of your dentist before using over-the-counter teeth whitening methods, or talk to the pharmacist on-site where you are buying the product for more in-depth information.