Voice disorders mainly refers to hoarse and muddy voices due to vocal disorders. In addition, there are resonance disorders with whistling noise and spasmodic dysphonia with cutting speech voice or sever trembling voice. Laryngeal endoscopy, laryngeal stroboscopic and computer voice analyzers are being used for the accurate diagnosis and the care process for diagnosis is ready.
Representative cause of voice disorder
1. Organic disorders
There is a hoarse voice as a abnormal voice arising from organic disorders such as trauma, foreign bodies, inflammation, tumors, paralysis, deformity and disability and also aphonia (失声 症) that voice does not come at all if it is severe voice does not come at all, to fall in. Early treatment of disease with cause is important.
2. Functional disability
There are hysterical dysphonia, spasmodic dysphonia, Voice asthenia, psychological and emotional disorders but most of it is due to the psychological and spiritual causes. Becoming whispers or vocal will be difficult.
Representative symptoms of voice disorders
- Vocal fatigue
- Sained / struggle voice
- Reduced phonational range
- Pitch breaks or inappropriately high or low pitch
Diagnosis of voice disorders
- 1. Hearing psychological tests : Doctor evaluates after hearing the voice of the patients.
- 2. Laryngeal endoscopy : Observing by endoscopic the state of vocal.
- 3. Laryngeal stroboscopic : Moving or simple stop states of fast-moving vocal motion periodically from a foreign state can be seen so that it is the useful tests for the diagnosis of early laryngeal cancer and voice disorders.
- 4. Computer voice analysis : It is the objective and quantitative tests to analyze after converting voice into electrical signals by using computers and it is the useful device to determine the effects and recurrence and observation.
- 5. Laryngeal electromyography : It is method to know whether any branch of various laryngeal nerve branches is invaded in patients with vocal cord paralysis.
- 6. Laryngeal biopsy : when the larynx is suspected, tissue is removed and should be confirmed by pathological examination. In laryngeal cancer, early diagnosis is critical and accordingly, if negative changes continues more than 2 weeks (especially smokers), the precise diagnosis of a specialist is needed.
Treatment of voice disorders
- 1. Laryngiti s : Eliminate the cause by smoking and medicine therapy.
- 2. Vocal nodules, vocal cord polyps : In case of early stage or in case that nodules are small, it can benefit with voice therapy but severe cases, or performing micro laryngeal surgery by using micro-surgery and laser surgery.
- 3. Vocal cord paralysis, voice disorders of the height and size : Perform the cosmetic surgery of the thyroid cartilage. After operating surgically the thyroid cartilage reputed Adam's apple so that it is a surgical method to push the vocal cords or loose or tight it.
- 4. Spasmodic Dysphonia : Botyulrinyum toxin injection method is the most widely used treatment method.
- 5. Laryngeal cancer : In the early stage, preserve your voice and complete cure are possible by laser excision and radiation therapy but in an advanced stage, there are many cases to sacrifice voice by total lary- ngectomy and prognosis is not good so that early diagnosis is important.
Speech therapy is the education and treatement which is making the rehabilatation of effective language by practicing step by step and systematical program, according to the result of language assessement of object of treatment and the consultation of guardian or parents. It is performed by selecting language treatment methods such the linguistic approach, the cognitive approach and pragmatic approach.
Speech therapy targets
- Articulation / phonological disorders of children and adults
- Fluency disorders (stuttering / gossip) for children and adults
- Language Impairment (express / acceptance / expression - receptive language developmental delay)
- TTY (hearing aid / cochlear implant), for children and adults
- Mental retardation
- Speech disorders (functional)
- Paralytic articulation disorder
- Cleft Palate
- Cerebral Palsy
Voice angioplasty doesn’t mean that it changes voice which has not problems into different voices. It is the voice angioplasty to improve voice that rough voice, the voice changed with aging, trembling voice hinder communication or does not make good first impression. In addition, the person with other voices with trans-gender, hormone disorders and dysphonia can make change the voice suited to sexual distinction.
- Senile Larynx
- Callus, a voice disorder caused by cyst
1. Prosthesis implantation
Stifling the voice is mainly due to the problem of vocal cord and if vocal cord doesn’t vibrate by coming contact in each other, hoarse voice or wind bird sounds come out. Inserting the implants in order to have a clean voice by contacting with vocal cord.
2. Cyst removal
If there is an excessive use of voice or a wrong use of voice, calluses on the vocal cord, cyst, etc. are produced so that it interferes with vibration. If eliminating this, you can find your voice.
3. Women's voices surgery
Distress caused by the voice of other gender can be solved with controlling the size and length of vocal cords. The reason the voice of men is lower than that of women is due to long and thick vocal cords. This is the same principal as the low sound of string instrument. Women’s voices surgery use the surgery method to raise frequency by shortening the vocal cords of long and big men’s voice.
4. Men’s voice surgery
Surgery lowering voice tone makes paralysis by injecting botox in the area of raising the tone of voice among the muscles of vocal cords so that it prevents high sounds and makes small vocal cords bigger by injecting the plants into the muscle of vocal cords.
KMH Recommended Tips
Prevention of Child Language Disorders
- 1. Communication needs should be reduced.
- 2. Fluency standards should be lowered.
- 3. Negative emotions (bees, frustration, anxiety, guilt, hostility) should be reduced.
- 4. Give an enough time can think for themselves.
- 5. Brothers and friends should not make fun of the child's stuttering.
- 6. When other people speak to children, making them aware of their stuttering.
- 7. When he cannot continue to say because the child gets blocked in saying, you should not say the other words instead of him for the purpose of helping.